|“|| "How many have died so far? All of them teenagers. Am I right? Want to know how many died the first time they came here? Wonder how many will die if they succeed?" |
"This did happen before."
"And now they're back. All because a few teenagers who never even considered the consequences decided to reignite a supernatural force they barely understand."
A Novel Approach is the fifth episode of Season 5 and the sixty-fifth episode of the series.
Donovan, who is revealed as a wendigo-lamprey hybrid, chases Stiles into the school library, where Stiles accidentally kills him in self-defense. Parrish steals the bodies of Tracy and Donovan, and takes them into the woods in another trance. Scott overhears Kira whispering in Japanese in her sleep. Malia shows the book that she found to the others, and Scott discovers that it is dedicated to Dr. Valack, a three-eyed inmate at Eichen House. Scott, Kira, Stiles, and Lydia go to Eichen House. Stiles and Lydia question Valack, who reveals that he wrote the book under an assumed name to chronicle what happened the last time the Doctors came to Beacon Hills. Kira's electric power goes haywire, knocking out the power to the asylum, and disrupting the electromagnetic currents that are part of its supernatural security system. The Doctors enter the asylum, attack Valack, and surgically remove his third eye. Malia has a flashback while driving with Theo, and discovers that the Desert Wolf caused the car crash that killed her adopted mother and sister. An injured Valack uses a recording of Lydia's banshee scream to shatter the glass wall of his cell.
Main Cast Edit
- Tyler Posey as Scott McCall
- Dylan O'Brien as Stiles Stilinski
- Holland Roden as Lydia Martin
- Shelley Hennig as Malia Tate
- Arden Cho as Kira Yukimura
- Dylan Sprayberry as Liam Dunbar (credit only)
Supporting Cast Edit
- Cody Christian as Theo Raeken
- Ashton Moio as Donovan Donati
- Steven Brand as Dr. Gabriel Valack
- John Posey as Dr. Conrad Fenris
- Benita Robledo as Deputy Valerie Clarke (voice only)
- Marti Martulis as The Surgeon
- Douglas Tait as The Pathologist
- Caitlin Dechelle as The Geneticist
- Clayton Froning as Schrader
Guest Cast Edit
- Valack lost his third eye to the Dread Doctors, which presumably caused him to lose his ESP abilities.
- It was revealed that most of Donovan Donati's animosity toward Sheriff Stilinski is because his father was Sheriff's partner back when he was still a deputy, and he blames Sheriff for leaving to call for backup while his father went into the house of a suspect who shot him in the spine and paralyzed him from the waist-down.
Body Count Edit
- Donovan Donati - impaled through the chest; killed by Stiles Stilinski
- Eichen House Orderly - stabbed through the back; killed by the Dread Doctors
- Beacon Hills High School
- Parking Lot
- Ms. Flemming's Classroom
- McCall House
- Scott's Bedroom
- Stilinski House
- Stiles' Bedroom
- Beacon Hills Preserve
- Dread Doctors' Operating Theater
- Eichen House
- Closed Unit
- Valack's Cell
- Closed Unit
- "Thinkin' of U" by Summer Heart
- Lydia and Malia discuss The Dread Doctors novel in the hallway while Kira and Scott print off a half-dozen copies of the book for the pack.
- "Strange Entity" by Oscar and the Wolf
- Theo studies with Malia at the library and offers her a driving lesson in his truck.
- "Eyes Closed" by Hermitude
- Malia drives Theo's truck while he rides shotgun, and Malia is suddenly stricken by a flashback-hallucination caused by the book.
- "Until We Go Down" by Ruelle
- Scott, struggling to stay upright as Kira's foxfire shocks up, carries Kira out of Eichen House to save both of their lives. Kira brings up Scott telling her he loves her in the previous episode, and Scott assures her that he meant it.